Wednesday, February 16, 2011
WEBS: Symposium for Early Career Female Biologists
WEBS targets early career women in the Biological Sciences with an emphasis on ecology and evolutionary biology. In particular, it focuses on women who have earned their doctoral degrees within the past two to eight years and who do not have tenure, in order to address the critical transition period from graduate studies and post-doctoral positions to permanent research and teaching positions. The symposium will provide a forum for professional development, including awareness and improvement of academic leadership skills; opportunities to establish mentoring relationships; and resources for developing professional networks. The 2011 symposium will be held at NESCent (National Evolutionary Synthesis Center) in Durham, NC, November 6-9, 2011.
Application Process Information
A complete application includes four online components and two email components:
- To be completed online:
- one-page (approx. 500 words) statement describing the applicant’s expectations for WEBS and how attending will aid her short and long-term career goals
- one page (approx. 500 words) statement explaining her research and teaching program and interests
- A mandatory online questionnaire. This survey will provide information about personal experiences and expectations of the WEBS symposium. (Estimated completion time: 30 minutes)
- A research information statement. WEBS attendees will be asked to share information from their application, complete a survey at the WEBS symposium, and take two follow-up surveys six- and eighteen-months after the symposium. Participation in the research is voluntary. Applicants are not obligated to participate and the decision not to participate will not preclude an applicant from being selected as a participant in the symposium.
- To be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org :
- two-page Curriculum Vitae
- two letters of recommendation
We strongly advise applicants prepare the two personal statements (parts 1 and 2 of the online materials) BEFORE beginning the online application process. It will be possible to cut and paste the statement texts into the online form.
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]