Saturday, December 11, 2010
Millis-Colwell Exchange Program for Early Career Scientists
Travel to Australia! The American Society for Microbiology invites its members to apply for the Millis-Colwell Exchange Program for Early Career Scientists.
This new grant, negotiated between the American Society for Microbiology (ASM USA) and the Australian Society for Microbiology (ASM Australia), allows for the exchange of one member from each society, who have recieved their PhD within the past 5 years, to present an abstract at the annual General Meeting of the other society and to spend a week at nearby research laboratory.
The grant aims to create a long lasting bond between ASM USA and ASM Australia and is designed to benefit scientists in both countries by giving them the opportunity to travel overseas to present their work and experience the best of microbiology in the partner country.
ASM USA will submit the successful applicant’s abstract for an oral or poster presentation to ASM Australia for their Annual Scientific Meeting & Exhibition. The applicant will also have negotiated an agreement to visit the research laboratory of an Australian scientist in the period either immediately before or immediately after the ASM Australia annual meeting. The award will be conditional upon ASM Australia's acceptance of the submitted abstract.
The successful applicant will be a
- U.S. citizen or permanent resident of the U.S.
- Member of the American Society for Microbiology
Recipient of a PhD, within the past 5 years, from an American University
Funds: up to $5,000
The award will cover
- Roundtrip economy airfare between the U.S. and Australia, and any necessary internal flights
- A per diem living allowance for up to 14 days
- The registration fee for the Australian Society for Microbiology’s Annual Scientific Meeting & Exhibition
The application should demonstrate to the Review Committee:
- Scientific excellence of the applicant - CV
- Quality and originality of proposed presentation - Abstract
- Depth of the applicant's research experience - Synopsis of Research
- Benefit of purposed research visit - Synopsis of Research
- Active or emerging collaboration between the U.S. and Australian institutions - Evidence of Collaboration
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]