Sunday, March 2, 2008
The Sontag Foundation Distinguished Scientist Award
Inspire us. We're looking for early career scientists with the potential to create new waves across the brain cancer field. We're looking for increased survival rates and improved recovery for patients. We're looking for a cure or at the very least, treatments to make brain cancer a manageable chronic disease.
In October 2008, The Sontag Foundation will present up to three Distinguished Scientist Awards to the most outstanding early career scientists with inspiring, potential-laden brain cancer research proposals. Each Award consists of a four-year funding component totaling a maximum of $600,000.
The application deadline for 2008 is Noon March 18, 2008.
- Applicants must hold a doctoral degree in a biomedical science, medicine, or other health-related field.
- At the time of application, applicants must hold their first independent full-time faculty appointment at the level of assistant professor, independent researcher or equivalent position at a tax-exempt 501(c)(3) academic, research or medical institution within the United States or an equivalent institution in Canada. If the institution grants tenure, the qualifying appointment must be on the tenure track.
- Applicant's initial faculty appointment must have been made no earlier than March 1, 2005.
- Applicant's career track and proposed research should demonstrate potential to generate new knowledge relating to causes, cure or treatment of primary brain tumors/brain cancer.
- Research proposal submitted for funding must be a primary focus of applicant.
- More than one individual from the same institution may apply for this award.
- Reapplications in subsequent years of eligibility will be accepted by invitation only.
Up to $150,000 each of four years–as supported by budget request.
Budgets must be approved in advance; funds will be disbursed to the institution in quarterly payments for up to four years, depending upon evidence of satisfactory progress. Progress reports must be received and approved prior to second, third and fourth year of funding. The Sontag Foundation will allow up to 15% of the award to support institutional overhead. Funding period will begin on or about October 1, 2008, and end on September 30, 2012.
Applying for the Award
- For information to assist with preparation of your application, review the FAQ. Utilize application checklist as a guide to assure accurate submission of your application.
- Full applications must be received in the Foundation office by noon on cut-off date. Facsimiles and e-mail submissions will not be considered. Guidelines found on application checklist must be followed. The original application plus six (6) print copies should be sent to:
The Sontag Foundation
816 A1A North, Suite 201
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL 32082
- E-mail notification will be sent to candidates upon receipt of application packet.
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]