Wednesday, February 20, 2008
Gilliam Fellowships for Advanced Study from HHMI
Earn a Ph.D. at the university of your choice.
Work with distinguished scientists.
Lead a new generation of biomedical researchers.
For students who have participated in the Exceptional Research Opportunities Program (EXROP) of the Howard Hughes Medical Institute, HHMI offers an extraordinary opportunity to pursue graduate studies in the life sciences.
The Gilliam Fellowships for Advanced Study provide full support for up to five years of study toward a Ph.D. for outstanding students who are from groups underrepresented in the sciences or from disadvantaged backgrounds. Gilliam fellows attend the university of their choice and work alongside distinguished scientists. Chosen for their academic excellence and scientific potential, they will become the leaders of a new generation of biomedical researchers.
The fellowships honor the legacy of the late James H. Gilliam Jr., a Trustee of the Howard Hughes Medical Institute who devoted his life to fostering excellence and diversity in education and science. Since the program’s inception in 2005, 17 Gilliam fellows have been named.
- Past participants in the HHMI Exceptional Research Opportunities Program (EXROP); must be graduating seniors or recent baccalaureate recipients (within two years) who have completed no more than one year of Ph.D. training.
- Former EXROP students pursuing an M.D./Ph.D. degree may apply, but fellowship supports only Ph.D. portion of the studies.
- No citizenship requirement.
- Up to 5 years
- 2008–2009 fellowship year: $44,000
- The annual stipend is $27,000.
Gilliam Fellowship applicants must complete an application, which will be available in August of each year on the HHMI website at www.hhmi.org/gilliam. Note that only eligible former EXROP students may applyfor this fellowship. Direct all inquiries about applications to the Gilliam Fellowships Program at (800) 448-4882 ext. 8889 or email@example.com.
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]